Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Bucket List

Have any of you seen this movie. It isnt novel and it isnt all that well done. It isnt a new idea, but it really got me thinking. The premise of the movie is that these two guys get terminal cancer and set out on a quest to accomplish some tasks and have some experiences before they die. Sometimes I get really frustrated with my life because I think it is too mundane. Over the past few years I really havent been seizing life in both little and big things. It is so hard with a baby and school and work. Jaime and I got to talking about our bucket lists and what we wanted to do both in the short term and long term. Simple things like trying a new restaurant, going on a short trip to bigger things like vacations or excursions. Anyway I think it is an interesting scenario because on the one hand it is a very narcissistic endeavor but life is only what we make out of it. It is more than just resolutions. What are the experiences in life that we have to seize to flesh out deficiencies. I was on a role this summer. A friend and I took a baseball trip and watched games at fenway, yankee stadium, and shea. Then Jaime I went to see Radiohead on their Rainbows tour (really great light show by the way) we even went to this mexican restaurant that we have been meaning to try for like 2 years (it was terrible, but now i know). Anyway I need to get back to work. By the way this post was on my list I have been meaning to write it for several months.

2 comments:

marcusaurelius said...

Hey there...thanks for posting. I hear you loud and clear. I've been stuck working a grungy factory for three years (talk about mundane). When you get in a routine like that, it's so hard to get yourself out of the "quicksand". I just feel like I'm floating down the river. I haven't exercised my will (let alone my brain) in way too long. It's like that Radiohead song, "No Surprises". I feel trapped sometimes, like I don't have the energy to pick myself out of it. So, at least you know you're not alone.

I'm not going to give up throwing off these damned chains, though. Break my rusty cage.

Jon Vander Plas said...

I'm a list person, so I know it's tough because if you don't plan, you end up wasting a lot of time, but if you plan, than a lot of times you end up frustrated because you didn't accomplish all the things you planned. Last summer Sarah and I had a list of all the things we wanted to do that summer. We got to about a tenth of the list. Still, I think lists like that help you figure out your priorities.

Another thing to consider is whether the list makes you less content. For example, I know when I start thinking too much about my home improvement to do list, I'm less happy with my home.