Sunday, October 5, 2008

A new bank


I posted this on my blog, and thought it would be interesting to discuss on this blog as well.

I have several blog posts churning around in my head. One on the current financial situation and God's economy. One about ministering to those that hold positions of power. One about the importance of mission of outreach in the face of recession and depression. But, the thoughts haven't crystalized quite yet. Maybe they aren't appropriate for a blog post, but rather a conversation or two.

Earlier this fall, Peter and I switched banks for our savings account. I read a book about consumerism this summer that got me thinking more about the relationship between micro and macro economics and our community. As an urban planner/community developer, my partner Peter found a great bank in Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland called ShoreBank. Their misssion is "to be a community development and environmental bank that enjoys a proud heritage of serving Chicago, Cleveland and Detroit. ShoreBank is committed to building stronger communities, creating a healthier environment, and helping its customers achieve financial success. When you bank at ShoreBank, you will experience friendly, expert customer service while also having the satisfaction of knowing that your deposits will have a positive impact in the community."

I can't argue with that. Not only is their savings account high yielding (as competitive as an ING account), but it also gives back to the community. Something "conservatives" and "liberals" can agree on.

Check out the history and vision here.

I won't pontificate about the current situation of other banks. It's complex. The solution will be complex. But, I am encouraged that there are alternative options for stewarding money and resources.

Also, if anyone is looking for a helpful budgeting/finance tool: mint.com has become our new friend. I'm visual, and seeing a pie chart of our expenses each month by category is great. The software is free, safe, and great.

What are your thoughts on money and the economy? What does stewardship of resources look like? Is there a boundary between stewardship and hoarding?

2 comments:

Jon Vander Plas said...

Good post, Susan. The bank looks interesting - if it meets all your banking needs, go for it. This is a good example of what Muhammed Yunus calls a "social business" in his book "Creating a World Without Poverty." Hopefully the bank can be self sustaining and still advance an important social goal.

Mint.com looks interesting, I've thought about buying budgeting software - free is better.

Your last question is an interesting one. If I budget well and save more money, am I then hoarding it? If we believe that all we have is God's, how much do you save/spend/give? Sarah and I approach it by setting aside our tithe first, and then budgeting so that we aren't wasteful and so we can meet our saving goals. But is that the best approach? I do think that if you're organized with your finances and give as much as you plan as the paychecks come in, it's easier to give more if you feel called to do so than if you're way behind or clueless on your giving.

Bobby said...

Thanks for the post Susan. I definitely want to check out mint.com also. I love creating budgets but we've discovered that they don't work when you don't actually compare your spending to your allowances. Imagine that.

I happened upon this article that proposes an interesting question about the role of the prosperity gospel in the recent financial crisis.
http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1847053,00.html?cnn=yes
It's by no means thorough, but asks some relevant questions. The prosperity gospel is one of the most frustrating psuedo-church movements for me. It's bad enough when we see it here in the states, but it was even more devastating to see how popular it was in South Africa.

As far as stewardship vs. hoarding, this is an incredibly difficult tension in my life. Being raised in a home where financial security was a top priority, it is hard to not to have internalized so many of those values to an unhealthy level. As I read the gospels in college, I began to realize that Jesus never advocates nor promises financial security (I especially appreciate the way he send the disciples out to the villages with next to nothing). In have swung hard in the opposite direction. While I would admit I still believe in the latter, the only thing I really feel confident of is how fearful I am of money and the power it contains in the world. Unfortunately this leads me to feel pretty good about my faith when I have enough and causes immense amounts of doubt when the numbers don't add up. Recently this has forced me to meditate on the concept of provision because this is something that God promises. Most often, even materially, it doesn't mean hard cash. As Missi and I enter the world of a single-income and parenthood, I'm constantly asking Jesus about what provision looks like. And although the hard numbers still don't meet, I have seen provision all around me from tubs of donated hand-me clothes given by Missi's preschool moms to friends who loan us cars and fix our house.

It seems to me that in regards to money, God wants us to sacrifice. That is should hurt a little bit. Not because we need to atone for sin or punish ourselves, but because it brings us closer to His heart and reliance on Him. Also I think it forces us to see community differently. That the body of Christ is made to be a blessing to one another and the world. You miss something of Christ if you want to be self-reliant. It's not that financial sacrifice is an end in itself, but I continue to find it as a means to a place of both humbleness and gratitude where God does more with my heart than if I could always afford what I wanted.

That definitely doesn't fully address the issue of savings, but it's what I've been thinking about since savings isn't really an option right now in my household.