Friday, January 9, 2009

Bobby's 2008 Favorites

So I had been holding off posting these in hopes of annotating my list. Alas, I never found the time and it would be 2010 before I'd likely finish. So here they are. Please ask me about any specific titles if you want more info. For book info, feel free to check out my GoodReads page.

Music
Fleet Foxes - s/t*
Bon Iver - For Emma Forever Ago*
Damien Jurado - Caught in the Trees*
Beach House - Devotion
Cool Kids - Bake Sale
Walkmen - You & Me
Black Mountain - In the Future
Bonnie "Prince" Billy - Lie Down In the Light
Vampire Weekend - s/t
Sigur Ros - Med sud i eyrum vid spilum endalaust
*top three



Live Shows
Fleet Foxes @ the Hi Dive
Sigur Ros @ Red Rocks
Mumford & Sons / Laura Marling @ Falcon Bowl
Deerhoof @ Bluebird Theater

Books
(published 2008)
Fiction:
Netherland - Joseph O'Neill
White Tiger - Adiga Aravind
Atmospheric Disturbances - Rivka Galchen
Story of Edgar Sawtelle - David Wroblewski

Nonfiction:
Traffic - Tom Vanderbilt
Happy Gloves - Miyako Kanamori
Sizwe's Test - Jonny Steinberg


Childrens:
Bats at the Library - Brian Lies
Madam President - Lane Smith
Wave - Suzy Lee
Little Matador - Julian Hector
Little Hoot - Amy Crouse Rosenthal

(read in 2008)
Invention of Hugo Cabaret - Brian Selznik
Gilead - Marilynne Robinson
Watchmen - Alan Moore
All the Pretty Horses - Cormac McCarthy
Plainsong - Kent Haruf



Movies
(in theaters)
Slumdog Millionaire
The Dark Knight
Man on Wire

(on DVD)
The Visitor
The Band's Visit
Young at Heart
This American Life (tv series)
War/Dance
No Country for Old Men

6 comments:

marcusaurelius said...

Wow...that's quite an impressive list. I feel so worthless, and out of touch now (not to mention inspired!). Haha. Oh, did you happen to hear the new Brian Eno and David Byrne disc, "Everything That Happens Will Happen Today"? I'm thoroughly enjoying that one. Granted, you have to like Byrne's distinctive voice.

Yes, that Fleet Foxes album is just gorgeous, to say the least. Oh, I also heard that Wilco's planning to release a live DVD early this year and then going right back to the studio! So that's exciting.

marcusaurelius said...

Ooh! Almost forgot...did anyone see "I'm Not There"? I thought it was a must see for any Dylan freak. I liked the dreamlike, aimless quality of the movie. Dylan's life is so convoluted, and shrouded with myth and mystery, which makes it all the more fun.

Let me know what y'all thought, or if you've see it. The soundtrack was decent, too (it has some gems).

Jon Vander Plas said...

I read All the Pretty Horses too and really liked it. I hope to tackle the rest of the Border Trilogy this year.

I forgot to include best shows - probably the Swell Season at the Chicago Theater, Death Cab at Millenium Park, and Bright Eyes/Andrew Bird at Chicago Theater.

I've been wanting to see "I'm Not There" - maybe I can sneak it into our Blockbuster queue without Sarah noticing.

Bobby, our taste in music has a pretty good overlap (Fleet Foxes, Vampire Weekend, yes, Sigur Ros not so much). Any album(s) in particular you'd recommend for me?

Bobby said...

Mark - No, I haven't listened to the Eno/Byrne disc. I think Adrianne who posts here really like it too. I'll have to give it a listen.

I did see I'm Not There. I liked it but found the unfocused nature of it a bit distracting. I picked up on most of the symbolism, but if you're not very familiar with Dylan, I think it would be pretty confusing.

I heard about the Wilco dvd. Should be good. It's the same guy who did the "Sunken Treasure" documentry I think.

Jon - I would definitely recommend Bon Iver to you. It takes a few spins to get really get into it, but it's fantastic.

You might also give the Walkmen a try. They have a unique sound, but very British rock influenced.

Black Mountain might also be worth a listen. It's this really sludgy rock bordering on metal with a lot of solos and keyboards.

marcusaurelius said...

Black Mountain sounds interesting. I'm into sludgy.

Bobby said...

Mark - I think you would love black mountain. I can't believe I haven't told you about them before!

Jon - They didn't make my top 10 but I bet you'd really like the Felice Brothers. I don't know how to describe it but it's like old-time saloon ballads. It takes a bit to get over how much the lead guy sings like Dylan, but it's a lot of fun.