Friday, July 13, 2007

Jackson

So jackson I finally watched your movie "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised". And as much as I hate to admit it it was pretty good:) You and I have had many conversations about democratic governments and chavez and it was nice to share in your passion and experience. So to all of you that havent seen the movie it is only an hour and fifteen minutes and well worth the time. I cannot pretend to be very knowlageable on chavez or his tenure in Venezuela although I did go with my dad to venezuela in high school and it was beautiful.

I know that things are very murky in Latin America and South America due to US involvement in various coups and uprisings to usurp Communist movements. When you watch Chavez he is inspiring and it seems that he is a man of the people and acting on their behalf, but I couldnt help thinking that he reminds me of the Charasmatic Leader that gets everyone worked into a frenzy especially the lower class and then does something crazy. Like the movie last king of Scottland or hotel Rawanda. I think that is why some people are leary of him. That is just a minor point or reflection.

The thing that got me thinking the most about the movie was the role media plays in shaping culture and history. For instance that scene in the movie where the Chavez supporters are shown shooting into the streets and the private tv stations showed that as them shooting at inocent protestors. Then the documentary showed that same scene from a different angle and it showed that the street was really empty and the chavez supporters were shooting at snipers. People are extremely succeptable to be manipulated by the media. For an entertaining movie watch "Wag The Dog". It's one of my favorites where a president starts a fake war in a studio to distract from a sex scandel. Its very funny and very thought provoking.

It is almost like the media has become a form of entertainment. They try to beat each other to the most gruseme stories. They use trailers and teasers, its sickening. But where are we to go to find information. I dont think it is too bold to say that all media outlets have some objective other than to simply inform, whether it is liberal or conservative or just to shock and sell advertising time. I want to find out more about the situation in Venezuela but i think both the american and venezuelan outlets are tainted. Thanks Jackson for the movie I appreciated it and if anyone else wants to watch it there is a link to it from Jackson's post.

1 comment:

marcusaurelius said...

Excellent points. The world is frightening nowadays. "Info-tainment" has gone a bit too far.