Saturday, July 14, 2007

Never Enough Media.

Hello everyone. I thought I'd make a benign post on the music buying frenzy I've been on lately. I get bored on Saturdays and it usually leads me to the record store. If I can't find anything else, I'll go to Best Buy. I live in the suburbs of Detroit (near Novi), so I must go to Dearborn, Ann Arbor, or Southfield to find any decent record stores. I was trying to find one in Southfield today and ended up at 8 mile and Dequindre (yikes). It's fun getting lost, though. Unfortunately, it got late, so I had to settle for Worst Buy.



I've been walking by the new one from The Detroit Cobras for a while. I decided to pick it up this time, and boy, it is great. Especially if you're a Detroit area native, you can feel it. It bleeds Motown. It has that strong female vocal ala Martha and the Vandellas, with a hard rock edge. Aquarius Records says it nicely... "exuding barrels of '60s girl group charm and sass coverin' old Stax and Motown gems in their own tight yet loose rock'n'roll fashion". I eat that stuff up.

Ah! And here's another great group "straight outta" Michigan. They're all originally from Ann Arbor. They're a foot stomping, accordion playing, beer drinking troupe that sings about a kind of mystical history of Michigan. The soul of the great lakes, if you will. They sing about taking their cars "across the bridge" (Mackinac). Sentimental, poppy, but in a good way. Some of their influences are ELO, David Bowie, the Beach Boys and even Iron Maiden (ahaha...I guess that ties into singing about mythical history). I saw these guys downtown Detroit at a nice, gritty venue called "The Lager House". The letters B, A, and R are spelled out in the neon on the front. There was a rockin' accordion solo! What else can I say? Oh, and a violin, too.

3 comments:

abockheim said...

That last one sounds esp intriguing. Thanks for the tip.

suz said...

we live in Michigan too, ann arbor to be exact. I'll have to check out the two groups. Have you heard of "The Great Lakes Myth Society" also a great local MI band.

marcusaurelius said...

Sweet...I'm in South Lyon. And, yup, I've heard of 'em. That was the last of the two groups. Good stuff.