Wednesday, January 31, 2007

I'm no elitist


I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Bobby Erskine. I think you've got some great facilities, and I'm really looking forward to making the best of it here at "a little one act".

One footnote. I notice you don't have a discussion regarding best music of 2006. Well, I'm going to start one because it's an easy, non-creative way to begin posting on this blog. In summation, let's rock Exposito! I repeat, let's rock!

Honorable Mentions:
Final Fantasy - He Poos Clouds
Sparklehorse - Dreamt fo Light Years in the Belly of a Mountain
Yo La Tengo - I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass
Sunset Rubdown - Shut Up Am I Dreaming
Built to Spill - You In Reverse

Numbers 4 - 7 (In No Particular Order)
Cat Power - The Greatest
Bonnie "Prince" Billy - The Letting Go
Band of Horses - Everything All the Time
TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
Danielson - Ships
Thom Yorke - Eraser
Midlake - Trails of Van Occupanther

Top Three
3. Damien Jurado - Now That I'm In Your Shadow
2. Beirut - Gulag Orkestar
1. Joanna Newsom - Ys


6 comments:

abockheim said...

Can I add "Fox Confessor" by Neko Case to your best-of-2006 list? I NEVER get tired of this album.

Jon Vander Plas said...

Nice picture. You just need the yellow jumpsuit and a few key ingredients: dynamite, pole-vaulting, laughing gas, choppers, hanggliding...

Jon Vander Plas said...

Me again. I'd have to add a few more obvious (but still excellent)albums: Bob Dylan - Modern Times, My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade, and the (less obvious) live album from My Morning Jacket - Okonokos.

Bobby said...

I'll allow Dylan and Neko in the honorable mentions. While Okonokos is good, it's hard to justify putting a live album in the list...and don't even try to get 'my chemical romance' anywhere near this thing. c'mon.

Micah B said...

Its good to see that some things never change bobbo. did you like world waits it really grew on me. Its nice to see you around. that silver spoon remark might rub some people the wrong way.

Bobby said...

funny you should ask micah. I listened to it all the way through for the first time yesterday, so I'm still processing it. There are definately songs I like (some I used to have bootleg copies of back in the day). I feel like he's lost some sort of edge. The previous passion he used to sing with seems covered up in some pop music nostalgia. he's getting soft in his old age...plus maybe he's shooting for the CCM stage soon. Unless he "still hasn't found what he's looking for?" (Were you at that discussion at Calvin when he actually said that in response to a question? That severely hurt his street cred in my book).