Wednesday, January 17, 2007

American Recordings

Recently, well over the past three years I have been falling in love with Johnny Cash. It kind of reminds me of the Onion article about the teenage boy that "discovered" led zeplin in 1999. The thing is the first time I heard hurt I realized there was something that I was missing out on. That there was a voice I had been ignoring. Since then I have been on a journey reading Cash by Johnny Cash. Watching documentaries and reading websites. Most importantly I have been listening to the stories. I love all things Cash including the old classics, but it is the new classics that intrigue me the most. Cash helped to shape the american musical landscape; His is the classic story of rise and fall and then fading into oblivion during the 80's. And then like a spirit ressurected He broke onto the scene again to a new generation with a something new but familiar to say and all the street cred he needed to sing whatever he wanted and together he and Rick Rubin put together the American Recordings. They are unbelievable. There is something so powerful and simple in his presentation that it is inevitably captivating. Jaime got me A Hundred Highways for Christmas it was the last album he ever worked on. He recorded the vocals right before he died and Rick Rubin got his musicians together and they put a final stamp on his musical career. It is like hearing a message from beyond the grave listening to his last thoughts on death and heaven after he had passed. It was really powerful. Here are a few songs from the 5 American Recording Albums.

God's Gonna Cut You Down
One
Won't Back Down
Solitary Man
Further on (up the road)
Unchained
Help Me
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

abockheim said...

sweetness. i've been getting more into johnny lately too. my dad's an old fan of his so it's cool that we finally have some music in common to talk about.

suz said...

Peter and I really enjoy that album too. The theme of death and context of the album are truly prophetic.

The smarter bannister said...

Because of the constant urges by my brother I have also gotten into Johnny Cash. I recently bought Hundred Highways as well. What I like most about this album was Johnny Cash's refusal to stop making music. You can hear that his voice in this album is not what it use to be. It isn't the booming voice of the 1950's, but of an old man sharing his thoughts; sharing his stories.