Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Where should I live?

While taking a procrastination break from editing papers, I decided to take a popular quiz to determine what city would be the best fit for me for the next move that family of 2.5 (the .5 being the cat) make. After answering over 75 questions regarding everything from "walkable urbanity" to the importance of having 7th Day Adventist in my dream city, the resulting list was created. The top ten follow:

1. Hartford, Connecticut
2. Portland, Oregon
3. Providence, Rhode Island
4. Eugene, Oregon
5. Baltimore, Maryland
6. New Haven, Connecticut
7. Salem, Oregon
8. Corvallis, Oregon
9. Charleston, West Virginia
10. Boston, Massachusetts

Having visited a sibling while she attended "clown college" in New Haven, I can tell you that 1) New Haven is a place for bad weather and 2) Connecticut roads are the most stressful that I have ever driven on. I am no driving wuss; I lived in New Jersey for two years, and commuted weekly from Princeton to Brooklyn. So, spots 2 and 8 are off the list.

Likewise, I have driven and stopped in Charleston, WV, and can tell you the place always looks like the dark side of the moon. I can just see my doubling over as the coal infested air beckons the return of childhood asthma. Good bye possibility 9.

So, in the end, Portland, OR is on the top of my list. Hello Powell Books!












Small wonder; I spend a part of my honeymoon there, and almost went to graduate school at a fine urban planning program. Perhaps the Nolan School might want to hire a freshly minted Neighborhood Planner in four years?

4 comments:

Micah B said...

What PB!?!? No consideration to the all too close second place consideration. What about Providende RI Just a few short miles from your good friends in Fall River

jaime b said...

I second that motion, pedro! Providence RI or Boston MA both sound like pretty good options to me too ... by the way, how are you and suz faring in the midwest again these days?

Meghan said...

ummmm HECK YEAH for Rhode Island!

suz said...

yeah. so I (susan sytsma bratt, wife of PB) took the quiz and had a similar list. What's up with Hartford?

I'm also up for a little Rhode Island action. I would love to be closer to the Bannisters!